Friday, January 21, 2005

Final jeopardy

  The answer is: the length of time it took Poetry.com to send me an e-mail offering me a publish-you-for-a-fee agreement.

  Ding! What is fourteen days, Alec?

See the text of the e-mail reproduced here:

Dear Paul,

Are you interested in publishing your own book of poetry?

As the largest publisher of poetry in the world, we have developed an exclusive technology that enables you to quickly and affordably publish as few as fifteen (or as many as thousands of) copies of your own collection of poetry--perfectbound books of 60, 80, or 100 typeset pages. Your book will feature a full color cover (you may choose from dozens of cover designs--or design your own color cover) and will be equal in quality to the finest softcover perfectbound books sold in bookstores every day. And best of all, your satisfaction is guaranteed!

Free information, pricing, and detailed submission instructions will be immediately sent to you by mail. Simply click here or go to
http://www.poetry.com/getpublished/Request.asp?VIP=P6736xxx&SC=MB02

Please note that I have disabled all of the links in this e-mail in order to protect the curious and weak willed from themselves.

please ignore what comes below

poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam poetry.com scam

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this the poems.com u were talkin about?  satisfaction guarenteed?  yea right!

http://journals.aol.com/ess321/MYJOURNAL

Anonymous said...

So? Did you find out what the bottom line cost would be? Curiosity has me asking, what is the price of fame? The only thing I'm disappointed about with the email from them, is the fact they didn't mention your, what I'll always refer to now, as the infamous meaningless poem. No cheers of stardom, no promises of a lucrative career? Nothing? How are they possibly going to spark the reach for the credit card if they don't point out how utterly glorious someone is? You know me, questions, questions, details are to be found in everything.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Ding...uh...like 15 days, Alice? S glasd to read this...yea!!!! Now I know I am not bing paranoid, suspixcious and downright rude to poetry.com....who never answered not one of my damn questions, do they steal our poems? But thank-you, for your info ( not cowgirl poetry ...either )

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this information re: Poetry.com.
They have been sending me the same stuff and I have
been skeptical all along.
I did not send them a dime, yippee!
Laurie
lalion@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Who are these people and what planet do they come from?
They have some nerve. Do people really fall for this kind of crap? I thank you and look forward to hearing from you... I consider you to be a protector of new poets in particular!!!!!!