Thursday, January 6, 2005

The Rede Of The Horsemen explained

I mentioned that there was a little bit of explanation that goes with my poem The Rede Of The Horsemen. It has always been met with a certain amount of confusion by readers. I was once involved in a poetry criticism group. One of the criticisms I received about this poem amused me. I reproduce it here:

Comments: I am afraid I have no access to the meaning of this poem.

Strong Points: It is hard to say when I do not understand the poem.

Weak Points: Not being clear

Suggestions: Work on this quality.

Thank you, M. McDonald.

  Back when I was in university studying creative writing, our teacher at the time (Susan Swan) was not all that much into poetry. She arranged for York University's unofficial Poet Laureate, bpNichol, to take several classes with us. bp was a big, friendly guy with an offbeat sense of wordplay. I quite liked him right from the start. He had a new book of poetry coming out, and he invited us all to the book release party that weekend. My wife (then girlfriend) and I attended.
  bp had, for many years, been a member of a sound poetry group called The Four Horsemen. I see your eyebrows raise in partial understanding. The four members of The Four Horsemen all happened to be in attendance that evening ( a rare occurence by the late eighties I was led to understand) and somehow they were cajoled into giving a performance. For an example of their work, click here. I don't think that is the exact piece they performed that evening, but it is indicative of what I heard. Suffice it to say I was nonplussed. That experience became the poem The Rede Of The Horsemen.
  Upon short reflection maybe M. McDonald's reaction was exactly what it should have been.

whatever the dream of numbers means
whatever the slumber that is never broken
the spoken word & the written
together end the spell
-bpNichol

Thank you, bp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a rarity online, Paul ... someone who actually has a talent for this kind of thing!  Finding a good poet in J-Land is like finding a good burger joint in Calcutta.