Friday, January 7, 2005

Poetry dot com exposed

  I saw a link to a website called poetry.com in another journal, so I thought I would check it out. The site claims to be an online resource for amateur poets. What it is really, is a vanity publishing scam. They get site visitors to take their "poetry knowledge" test, and "poetry creativity" test in order to gauge their likelihood to be "talented enough" to be included in "anthologies" they "publish." Wow, that's a lot of quotation marks. If it helps you understand what I am trying to say, you can visualise Dr. Evil saying "laser" and motioning with his fingers every time you come across a word, or words, in quotaion marks.
  The nature of the scam is, of course, that every single person who submits a poem, no matter how bad it might be, is told that their poem has been "selected" to appear in one of their "anthologies." They then have the opportunity to purchase copies of the "anthology" in which their poem appears. These "anthologies," of course, are cheaply printed little booklets that include the poems of a group of people that have agreed to purchase copies. No more copies than those that have been sold to the poets themselves will ever be printed. The scam is, they are selling really cheap books of really bad poetry at a huge profit by appealing to the poets' own vanity. It is successful because absolutely everybody in the world wants to be told that they are talented. I decided to take the "test" and submit a poem, just for a lark. The test is easy enough, even for someone who is only marginally literate. The poem I submitted is below. Sixteen lines of absolute gibberish that I dashed off in about a minute and a half. I wonder how long it will take them to send me an e-mail offering to "publish" my poem in one of their "anthologies?"

Beleaguered

In wholesome indifference
To vileness ideally
I wilt under 'spection
Of heavenly orbs

In yellow prevention
The skies open wide
To youthful pretension
And white flowers' end

With cool apprehension
The shivers advance
Till morning descends
Under frigid auspice

My world doth revolve
Within crystal portents
Of mercy and justice
And cruel magistrate

Pay noattention to anything below this point.

Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com
Poetry.com
Poetry.com
Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com Poetry.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poetry.com has quite the reputation for what you described and yet eager newbie poets get suckered by them all the time.

Anonymous said...

I actually fell prey to poetry.com I have two poems published on their site "Not Alone" (I was extremely tired when I wrote that one I could barely see, so there were a few typoes), they sent me a letter saying I had been nominatedas upcomming artist or something, and I had won a cash prize (which I never claimed), my poem was due to be published, in their upcomming book, and it would only cost me $49.95 to have my work published, to recieve a copy of the book blah, blah, blah.

I have another poem on their sit that is "Union Of Two Souls" which in my opinion is far better than "Not Alone," I haven't heard anything from them on that one, however I did recieve an from one of their other branches wanting permission to publish my work, worldwide, I may still have the email, if anyone is interested in their scam.

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'm just going to go for it and state that I actually really like this gibberish, eclectic flow of words. So if you clinked them together in a minute and a half word smith style, good job. As for poetry.com, never been there, but I'll take your word for it.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oh, sure, it flows. It is, however, completely devoid of meaning. Semantic content=0.

Anonymous said...

Meaning, is in the eye of the beholder. Or maybe that should read, Meaning is in the mind of the reader. Interpretation is one of the fascinating aspect of poetry. Obviously personal tastes play a huge role in anything you read. So for my own take on reading poetry, the least stated or underplayed meanings are the ones that intrigue me the most. Let me find meaning, I don't need it played out before me like roses are red and violets are blue. Obvious meaning give's no room for my mind to wander. Like hitting the end of a road, but the poetry that leaves the road wide open is for me, a path to explore and admire. The art I see in your 1 1/2 minute poem is the ability to flow words together, with elegance and interest. Herein is where I see your talent. I've assigned my own meaning to your poem and I'm happy with the result.  Again, I say, downplayed or not, Good job!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I didn't take any test when I sent in my poem.....  I also have not sent them any money though.  LOL  I have been checking into them myself!

Tracy
http://journals.aol.com/sasonalmah/ARoseByAnyOtherName/

Anonymous said...

I've heard of this. They sell you your "published volume", and it is a big old thing on cheap paper.

Thanks for the invite, friend

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I thought they (poetry.com) was a good place to submit personal poetry too (I have a number of my poems on there) But after my first two poems they sent me something in the mail saying  "i could have my poem published..for the cost of the book" After that i figured it was a rip-off (I never did send them money either)
I feel kind of stupid though, that i even sent them any of my poetry.
~Nikki~

Anonymous said...

You need more Schnauzers.

Anonymous said...

    I loved this, Paul.  I did the same thing for a laugh, and of course, got 'the letter' trying to squeeze money out of me for their 'anthology.'  I laughed and laughed and laughed ..... until I noticed that the front of the envelope had a window through which my wonderful piece of junk poem was exposed for all the world to see.   And what's worse, I went to their site, and there is somebody with the exact same name as mine posting the most horrific poems I have ever read.  To all concerned: It's NOT me  ...  I know how bad my poetry is.  Tina