Wednesday, January 5, 2005

I had a little black book with my poems in...

  I did. Back in high school I had a notebook, which I had labelled: I've got a little black book with my poems in. At some point, and I am not entirely sure when, it went missing. 'S a shame. Most of it was silly drivel, but there were a few things in there I would have liked to have preserved. I keep hoping it'll turn up.
  On the topic of poetry that is still extant and I can actually reproduce for you, this one wasn't intended to be a poem at all. Its genesis was a creative writing exercise. I think it was from The Art Of Fiction by John Gardner. What was supposed to be a descriptive paragraph turned into this:

evening

shadow trees sway on dead wood

sunlight pools on the roof

silver roof
red light
it
bleeds from the rivets
gathers at the edge and
splashes on the windows below

someone left the loft doors open
like a mouth
exhaling sparrows and bats

above the mouth a white lettered brow
bennett and sons
bennett and

be ee double en ee double cross

light fades
as life
into night

it will be back again
in the morning

i pray for rain

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some girl probably took your little black book and saved it in her collection of stuff she took from guys she liked.  She gets it out and looks at it from time to time wondering whatever happened to you. Mrs. L

Anonymous said...

Two and half years later, I bet you never thought you'd see another reply to this, but nevertheless, here I am... just to say that's so cool that you had such a book and labeled as you did. Go you.

That is all.